> EN > merc


I will add a change light and some instruments to read engine conditions.

The change light is a HiTech design that should resist moisture and vibrations equipped with LED bulb ,-) Hope the lamp works in bright sunshine.

Here is the new EGT gauge and IAT gauge from Mainline Sensors at shops. The EGT meter reads up to 2300*F(1250*C). I have an IAT meter already in the system but I can the only read it from the laptop display.

The battery is going in the boot in the spare wheel well. This lighter bettery will take 30 lbs (13 kg) off the front axle and add 20 lbs (9 kg) to the rear axle.

The water tank for the cooler and the battery have found their final position and the water pump and the valve for letting the water out almost. The heat exchanger for the cooler is not coming, the water will be changed when it gets too warm.

This is the summer 2015 version of my engine compartment with the air to water intercooler, supercharger and turbocharger and a bypass valve between them. The bypass valve opens at 0.7 bar (10 psi) and the supercharger poes off at the same time. I'm still testing fof the best change point. The air cleaner is down behind the air dam.Now I only need to get the car to run!

I have been studying the differences in engines 111.944 (the former) and M111.975 (the present). This is the M111.944 cylinder head on the exhaust cam side. You can see that the exhaust cams are not identical - the one on the right has a fuller form and opens the valve earlier. The closing sides of the cam look about the same. Is this feature for swirl or what?

The lifts of the intake cams are about 0.37" and 0.37" (9.3 / 9.3 mm) and the lifts of the exhaust cams are about 0.37" and 0.33" (9.4 / 8.4 mm).

The newer intake cam (VVT) seems to fit in the older cylinder head. The cam has the same lift as the older one but the duration is about 10 degrees longer. I found a pair of the older cam sprockets which are better for adjustable gear setup. PO-Metal machined larger adjustment holes (+- 10degrees on camshaft and +-20 degrees on crankshaft) in the sprockets.

The VVT cam has two oil holes which have to be closed. I made M5 threads and screwed M5 screws with loctite and cut them along the flange surface. I must move the cam sensor finger from the old sprocket to the adjustable one.

I had to modify the timing cover in order to make the coming changes in cam timing easier (e.g. not needing to let the cooling water out). I believe the valve cover still needs to be taken off to remove the upper part of the timing cover. The plan to keep the oil inside the engine is still on the drawing board ,-)